Monday, December 08, 2014

Fifty

"Fifty"

You take a deep breath and you walk through the doors
It's another morning of another day
You say "Hi" to your kids you ain't seen in a while
Try and stay out of everybody's way
It's another year and you're gonna be here
For the next twenty-four years in this town
Hoping one of those management boys will wink at you and say
"You know, you deserve a raise and an easier work assignment."

'Cause when you're fifty and somebody tells you they love you
You wanna believe them
And when you're fifty
Feeling like there's nothing left to figure out
Well count to ten, take it in
This is life after you forgot who you were gonna be
Fifty

You sit in a cubicle next to grey-headed Abigail
And soon enough you're best friends
Laughing at the other fools who think they're so cool
We'll be out of here as soon as we can
And then you're on your very first break and but the restroom's too far
And you're feeling like puking
And your break time's all up
And you're thinking this's the one
And you're limping to your bedroom when the night ends, when the night ends

'Cause when you're fifty and somebody tells you they love you
You wanna believe them
And when you're fifty and your first kiss makes your head spin around
But in your life you'll do nothing greater so you gather wool and dream
But I didn't know it at fifty

When all you wanted was to be retired
Wish you could go back and tell yourself what you know now

Back then I swore I was gonna buy that winning ticket someday
But I realized the odds were too high
And Abigail gave everything she had to some old guy who changed his mind
And we both cried

'Cause when you're fifty and somebody tells you they love you
You wanna believe them
And when you're fifty, don't forget to look before you fall
I've found time can heal most anything
(But broken hips are such a bitch! Ow!)
And you just might find who you were supposed to be
I couldn't remember who I was supposed to be at fifty.

La la la la la la la
La la la la la la la
La la la la la la la

Now I must be confessin'
That I've just been guessin'
I'm only forty-nine
How the hell should I know what folks are thinkin'
When they're as old as fifty?