Monday, December 08, 2014

Beerless

"Beerless"

There's somethin' 'bout the way
The room looks full of strangers
There's a glow off the fluorescents
I walk me to the podium
And you know I want to puke right there
In the middle of the church basement
Yeah
Oh yeah

I've never been one for public speakin'
But I say my name (just my first name)
And they say hello to my name (just my first name)
I say how long it's been
And give the reasons..
   And I say it
   I admit it
   I was powerless
   But I came to believe...

And now I'm learning how to make it better than this
My awakening helps me to manage my thirst
Beerless
And I don't know how but each day I'm givin' my best guess
Beerless

I pause for a moment
Take a drink of water
And the nice lady
who's been knittin'
Well, she smiles at me
And I continue
I tell them all how I
    Made a decision
    Made an inventory
    Admitted my wrongs.
    I was ready for help.
    I asked for help.

And now I'm learning how to make it better than this
My awakening helps me to manage my thirst
Beerless
And I don't know how but each day I'm givin' my best guess
Beerless

On a roll now
I just keep on sayin'
    Made a list of my victims.
    Made amends to my victims.
    When I'm wrong, I try to admit it
    Prayed and meditated
    I'm carrying a message
Now we're all prayin'...

And now I'm learning how to make it better than this
My awakening helps me to manage my thirst
Beerless
And I don't know how but each day I'm givin' my best guess
Beerless

Well I stood there in the basement
My hands shake
I'm not usually this way but
They pull me in and I'm a little more brave
It's today's meeting,
It's flawless,
Really something,
It's beerless.

Oh-oh
Oh yeah